Friday 3 April 2015

Throw back Milestones

I was looking back at some posts and realized I never posted this one... Crazy how I'm less worried about that appointment, but still generally apprehensive about milestone! 

"A few weeks back we went to our first neurodevelopment appointment. Miss V was almost 7 weeks corrected age at the time. Before this appointment, I thought she was doing quite well, lots of smiles, some giggles, she seemed to be tracking and was starting to lift her head from side to side when she was doing her tummy time.

Turns out she was not doing so well. During the entire exam, the doctor and physio kept making remarks to each other that did not sound so great : "look at her left sided preference" or "hmmmm, she is startling a lot", etc.

I worry a lot about whether or not Miss V. will hit her milestones on time.

I'm not sure if it is because she was born at 29 weeks so has been around 11 weeks more than you average baby, but I'm starting to get impatient for her to start reaching various milestones. I realize she is only 8 weeks corrected age, but she has been around for such a long time, surely she should be sitting, or saying her first word or running a small business by now!! 

I wonder if this impatience is just me, typical to preemie parents or something everyone experiences... I've heard the first three months tend to be a blur, what with constant feeding, diaper changing, very little sleep, learning how to take care of your sweetheart. For us it has been a bit different, we had 77 days in the NICU and step down units to get to know our little lady, we developed our routine long before heading home! The fact that her feeding schedule was so regimented at the hospital (every three hours, on the hour) got Miss V. used to regular feeding I suppose; despite feeding her strictly on demand, she tends to feed quite regularly every three hours and a bit less at night. As such, we have been getting quite a reasonable amount of sleep! Which makes these weeks at home less of a sleepy blur."

I'm soooo glad they were wrong about the whole side preference business! Nice to see how far V's come!

Blurry, but I still love it!!

Getting into trouble again the sneaky girl!


Xo
C

No comments:

Post a Comment