Thursday 24 April 2014

Choosing Grandparent Nicknames

I am an only child, so having a baby meant my parents became grandparents for the first time. As my husband and I mulled over potential baby names, my parents began considering what they wanted our baby-to-be to call them! The process uncovered a few nicknames I had never heard of and a sweet story!

For my dad, it was quite easy, he had always wanted to be called "grand-papa" just like his father had. Grand-papa is the french version of Grandfather.

My mom on the otherhand had a bit more difficulty choosing. Her mother calls herself Nana, which my mom really likes. However, she was worried that our baby would get confused if there were two Nanas. Grand-maman (the french version of grandmother) was already being used by my mother-in-law. 

She looked to her sister for some help. My aunt became a grandma a few years ago and did quite a bit of research to find an original nickname that she thought would suit her. At first she considered nagymami (which is Hungarian), but no one in my family is Hungarian so we all found it too difficult to pronounce. She finally decided to be called Yaya, from the Greek word for Grandma, which has been super easy for her granddaughter to learn to say! None of those seemed to fit for my mom.

She ended up calling herself Mina. This is part of our heritage : it is Corsican (that beautiful island off the coast of France). Grandma's there are usually called either Mina, MinnĂ  or Minana. I think its adorable!

The absolute cutest grandma nickname in our family has to go to my husband's fraternal grandma. When my husband was little, his (~4 year old) brother listened in on a phone conversation between his grandparents. His grandfather called his grandmother "darling". Hearing this, my husband's brother assumed Darling was actually his grandma's real name! Ever since, the two boys called her Darling. I know its early (wayyy to early in fact), but I'm thinking that could be a pretty cute name for me one day!

What will you or your parents be called?

Xo
C


No comments:

Post a Comment